Marshfield Violent Crime Defense Lawyer
Experienced Defense Counsel for Your Violent Crime Charges
If you have been charged with a violent crime, you need to contact an attorney right away. A conviction for a violent crime can carry serious penalties, including prison time, heavy fines, and a permanent criminal record. Without the help of a qualified attorney, you may not have the best chance of fighting your charges and getting the best possible outcome in your case.
At the Law Office of James Hester, our Marshfield violent crime defense attorney has 10 years of experience defending clients from all types of violent charges. Whether you have been charged with a felony or a misdemeanor, we will fight for the best possible outcome in your case. We will work to get your charges reduced or dropped altogether and help you avoid a conviction and the serious consequences that come along with it.
Our Marshfield violent crime lawyer is ready to help you. Call us today at (619) 773-0041 for a free, confidential consultation!
What Is a Violent Crime in Massachusetts?
Violent crimes are those that involve the use of force or the threat of force. These crimes are often associated with other crimes such as drug and property crimes. Violent crimes include assault and battery, sexual assault, kidnapping, carjacking, and murder. Ultimately, there are many different types of violent crimes, and each one is charged differently.
Some of the most common violent crimes include:
- Assault and battery. This is a general term that refers to a physical attack on another person. It can either be a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the circumstances.
- Aggravated assault and battery. This is a more serious form of assault and battery, and it is charged as a felony. It involves serious injury to the victim or the use of a weapon.
- Sexual assault and battery. Includes any type of unwanted sexual contact or penetration. It can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the circumstances.
- Kidnapping. This is the unlawful restraint of another person without their consent.
- Rape. This is forced sexual intercourse against the victim’s will.
- Aggravated rape. Rape charges that involve the use of a weapon or serious injury to the victim.
- Carjacking. This is the taking of a vehicle from another person by force.
- Assault with a motor vehicle. This is the assault of another person while operating a motor vehicle.
- Arson. This is the willful and malicious burning of property.
- Burglary. This is the unlawful entry into a building with the intent to commit a crime.
Our firm handles all violent crime cases, including sex crimes. If you have been charged with a violent crime, we can help you.
How Do I Fight Violent Crime Charges?
If you have been charged with a violent crime, you need to get in touch with an attorney right away. You need to be proactive in your case, and an attorney can help you mount the most effective counter-case against the prosecution.
There are many defenses that can be used against violent crime charges, but two of the most common are:
- Accidental homicide
Self-defense is a valid defense against assault and battery charges. It involves proving that you acted because you feared for your life or safety, and you did not use more force than necessary. This defense does not work in all situations, but it can be effective in some cases.
If you need defense against violent crime charges in Marshfield, speak with our firm in a free consultation. Payment plans and pay-later arrangements available.
When I first talked to Mr. Hester about my case I was in a panic and very stressed but after talking to him I felt a lot ...- LaTia
James is very helpful and efficient. He answers questions completely and explains options very well. I first met him as a he ...- Previous Client
Attny Hester was fabulous!!! Always replied to emails w/in an hour. Always available to speak on the phone. He takes the time ...- Kristan
Appearing in court for the first time in my life was a scary prospect. I needed someone on my side, so I searched around for ...- Michael
I decided to hire Jim after seeing positive reviews for him here and having my free consultation with him. Although I spoke ...- Previous Client